Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Ride to Des Plaines River

First big bike ride of the year. I got out my Chicago bike map and looked for a good goal. I wasn't sure how far I'd be comfortable going, so I decided to get to the Des Plaines River Trail, then decide if I want to go north or south once I get there.

1. St. Joseph the Betrothed Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. Cool site. The path out to the Des Plaines was all pretty easy - Lawrence to Higgins to Foster, back down to Lawrence at Canfield. The wind was pretty strong, I think NNE by my inner anemometer, so I'm already thinking that I'll go south and west to set myself up for a very pleasant ride home.

2. The Splaines. The path is a big bright green line on my map, so that seems like pretty good riding. It wasn't though, it was pretty difficult to ride on. I planned to ride down to where the green line turns to a dotted purple line and I could provide some investigative reporting on how developed it is, but instead I got off the trail on Grand in River Grove. At least it was nice being by the river, I could bond with nature for a bit, and the trees kept the wind down while I went south.

3. River Grove. On the left some Easter decorations. On the right is the place I was hoping to get a hot dog, but it closed at 1pm on Sunday. Why even open, Gene's & Jude's?! Also that's a glamor shot of my bike. Stoic, in the sun.

In River Grove, I was still feeling good and decided to keep going south, against the wind, for that glorious ride home thing. Further south is the massive Illinois Prairie Path (first purple, then blue) which spans the entire western suburbs. That would have been pretty ambitious, especially since I'm not usually one to turn around and go back the same way.

I started south, but only got to North Ave. I was really struggling against the wind and reminded myself that I'm supposed to be having fun. Plus by then I was in Melrose Park and became awestruck at the suburban sprawl.

4. Melrose Park.
I babysat my nephew a month ago. He said he went to Chuck E Cheese that day. The first question I thought to ask was, "Where was that?" I thought better before asking it, kids don't care about that stuff, I hadn't talked to kids in a while. But I'm pretty sure that when I was a kid, this is the Chuck E Cheese I went to. On the right, there's a racetrack.


5. Augusta. I watched this last week and was curious to ride down Augusta after the possibly-crazy guy at 0:50 said that it's a "jewel", a "beautiful" superhighway for bikes from River North to Oak Park. Last year, I went due east on Washington from Oak Park and went through some scary neighborhoods, so possibly Augusta was different.

No, it's not different, it's scary, that guy's bona fide crazy. It is cool though that I went from suburban sprawl in Melrose Park to fancy houses in Oak Park to The Wire within a few minutes.

6. Home stretch. Straight up California, wind at my back, very nice and pleasant. I was worried for a second that the winds would change and go the opposite way, what do I know about how wind works? But no, it was nice.

7. For a few minutes, I had the crazy plan to ride from Lincoln Square to the Siskel Center to see The Secret of Kells, but didn't because it looked like rain, I might get cold, and it's playing all week. Luckily I didn't because a cool thunderstorm started a few minutes after I got home.

Grand total: 33 miles. Good first big ride of the year.

Notes:
· I'm a slave to my bike map and for the most part only ride on roads that are at least yellow on the map. A link to it would be very appropriate here, but I can't find one.
· There's probably a really cool way to make maps interactive and clickable and everything. I haven't gotten that far yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment